Thunder Express

School stands against bullying

Layliah Limon, Editor

When Mr. Esparza was playing high achool basketball, a teammate pushed him around and was always messing with him.

One day, the teammate grabbed Esparza by
the shirt.

“I got tired of what he was doing…I grabbed him by the shirt,” Esparza said. “He saw how serious I was and decided it wouldn’t be a good thing after I stood up.”
Esparza, now an assistant principal at NSSH, said dealing with the experience in high school was different then compared to now. There are now more resources to help people with bullying now and people don’t have to deal with it alone.

“They’re not bullying just because they want to bully, they bully because they are hurting,” Esparza said.

He explained how bullying affects everyone that is involved. Everyone is a victim in the situation. Bullying has an origin, such as abuse.

“Sometimes you have to stand up for yourself,” said Esparza.
Dealing with bullying alone gave him a positive ending, making the person he is today.

“It made me a lot stronger person.. gave me the confidence to know that I can handle whatever comes my way.”

“Negativity spreads like wildfire…it does get better… pain only last a little while, trouble doesn’t last always,” said Ms.Davis, counselor and head of the organization “No Place for Hate” at North Shore Senior High.

The organization’s purpose is to reach out to those who are currently, or were once victims of bullying and cause awareness of bullying. The organization started five years ago. Ms.Davis explained that the concert they will be later hosting, will send out a message to everyone, letting them know that you are not alone.

“People want to avoid controversy; it raises attention,” Ms.Davis said, speaking strongly that there is hope and life does get better.

“If we talk about it, it can get better.”

Throughout the world there’s bullying that happens every day. Over 3.2 million students are victims of bullying each year, according to DoSomething.org . Bullying has several forms like cyber, verbal, and physical. Every 30 minutes a teenager attempts suicide due to bullying, according to Challengediscoveryprojects.org. As a teen we hold everything in, feeling alone where we feel like we can’t go to anyone. Sometimes we questions the things that happen to us like “How do I get out of this?”

Little does everyone know we all share the similar experiences of bullying. We all go through hard times in life and it’s important to talk and share about these moments so we can be aware that bullying is painful. We all have stories yet no one really speaks, afraid for seeking help because we will be known as “weak”.

When: April, 26th, 2018
@3 pm
Where: Nssh Auditorium
What: Concert against hate

“I’ve learned that no matter what happens or how bad it seems today, life does goes on.”- Maya Angelou.