The Student News Site of North Shore Senior High School

Thunder Express

Students take part in principal advisory program

Jasmain Bennett and Diana Aguilar

The black wind-breaker, embossed with a “North Shore Senior High School,” logo, was zipped tightly near William Curry’s chest. His white, button-down dress shirt was tucked neatly into khaki pants as he walked briskly through the halls. His broad shoulders rolled back and forth with each step, showing his authority.

Curry isn’t an assistant principal. He’s a student.

But the junior is part of the Principal’s Advisory program on campus where students work with Dr. Coleman and assistant principals to help keep the school safe. Curry is one of 23-24 students in the program, which has been around since 1997.

He is currently partnered with his friend Timothy Smith as the program’s lead duo. Mr. Bryant, the assistant principal who oversees the program, said he chose Curry and Smith due to their character.

“It’s two young men who want to do the right thing, who carry themselves to a certain standard,” Bryant said. “They are always in dress code and they also have a passion and dedication about them that we really like. We want to encourage that and continue to motivate (the students), not only in school but help them to understand that whatever they put their minds to they can achieve and be successful not in only high school, but also outside high school.”

For instance, Smith hopes someday he can be a professional basketball player, and while he plays for the school’s basketball team, he believes this program will help him.

“But in order to do that I’ve got work to do,” Smith said. “I love this job.”

However, with this position, Curry and Smith have to face some of the challenges that occur in school.

“We have to stop the fights every time it happens,” Curry said.

For Smith, this journey began in ninth grade when he wanted to help out his friend William and Mr.Eckford, an assistant principal at the ninth grade campus.

“We were informed by the ninth grade campus how great of a job they were doing in clearing the cafeteria during lunches and assisting the administrators in the hallway,” Bryant said. “So we want to encourage them to do the same thing here.”

Meanwhile, Curry started in the seventh grade when he had passion to help out other teachers and staff members.

“It’s all right, but some of the students like to talk back to the staff and they need to fix that,” William said.

The duo is still held to the same guidelines as other students on campus, Mr. Bryant said.

“They are to make sure to navigate throughout the campus following the right directional pass, they also they need to make sure they need to get to class on time and to make sure to get to class on time and there is no exception this is a program that they help when they are available to help not something whether to receive a free 5 min pass or anything like that,” Bryant said.