The Student News Site of North Shore Senior High School

Thunder Express

Art teacher owns Hip-Hop magazine

Jasmain Bennett, Editor

Photos of him standing next to celebrities are displayed across a wall in Mr. Haynes art classroom. Another wall is covered in artwork he and his students created.
In the left corner, however, is the secret to Haynes’ madness — a madness that seeps into the night, far from his job as an art teacher at North Shore Senior High School.
Locked away in a medal drawer in that corner, Haynes can likely find, at any given time, 40, cluttered bottles of 5 Hour Energy Drinks, “that I drunk up already.”
“I’m tired…I drink like two a day,” he said,
Mr. Haynes is an art teacher at NSSH, but also the owner and editor and chief of 2LoudMagazine- a hip hop magazine. He owns the company with his wife, Ashley.
“We have interns that work with us and all of the day to day business stuff, and my degree is graphic design, and minored in marketing,” Haynes said. “So I also run all of that.
In addition to doing most of the design work for the magazine, Haynes and his wife also do most the photography. Taking photos is the fun part, he said.
Many of his students has no clue that he owns his own magazine company, and they are sometimes in awe when he tells them that he is friends with the likes of Rihanna and Drake.
“They don’t really believe it until they look at the pictures behind me with us and rick Ross and Dj Envy and Top dollar sign and whoever else there is,” Haynes said. “I just kind of mention it at the beginning of the year.
The magazine took off when local club owners and promoters started to hear of his work and invite Haynes and his wife to clubs on specific days.
“We know all of the Houston Artist, everybody from Slim Thug all the way to Z-Ro and some of the rest of those guys,” Mr. Haynes said.
A framed, four-foot poster of Z-Ro hangs in Mr. Haynes’ house. It’s a sign of how life has changed from his days of driving from Beaumont to review clubs. His magazine has grown from an online blog. His phone is always on him because he often receives text messages from celebrities he writes about.
“We started doing interviews and it just kind of snowballed and we decided, ‘hey let’s do a magazine, so here we go.,” he said.
Those in-person contacts with celebrities at clubs are vital for Mr. Haynes since getting contact information is a challenge. And getting in contact with artists such as Rick Ross and DJ Envy is important when it comes to developing engaging content for readers.
“(It takes) a lot of work, a lot of creativity being really smart about how to approach them when we approach them,” Haynes said. “The biggest problem with getting to celebrities is trying to figure out how to contact them because you try to Google it and they’re like ‘Oh yes, send an email to this.’ That’s not a real email nobody actually sees that. So you have to actually know real people that can really get in touch with them, and that’s again from being at the clubs.”
While Mr. Haynes makes the connection with the celebrities, his wife Ashely, Co-owner and fashion Designer of the magazine, conducts the interviews.
“She’s a people person while I’m not so much a people person,” Mr. Haynes said. “I set the stuff up and contact them and then she does the rest of it.”
Mr. Haynes compares the persistence of being the best to that of a child begging to play a game over and over again. Kids don’t ask once. They keep asking until they get what they want, and they don’t take no for an answer. That’s the same persistence Mr. Haynes has.
“Our goal is to be the new voice of hip hop,” Mr. Haynes